- Senior scientist, A*STAR Institute of High Performance Computing (IHPC) , Singapore, April 2018-Present.
- Capability Group Manager (Soft Matter Group), A*STAR IHPC, Singapore, Apr 2013-Sep 2017.
- Scientist, A*STAR IHPC, Singapore, Dec 2012-Mar 2018.
- Post-doctoral Fellow, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Harvard University, USA, Nov 2010-Nov 2012. Advisor: Professor Zhigang Suo.
- Research Engineer, A*STAR IHPC, Singapore, Sep 2008-Oct 2010.
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering. Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore, 2004-2008.
- B. Eng., Mechanical & Production Engineering. Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore, 2000-2004.
Awards and Honours
- 3rd Prize in Soft Material Robot Challenge, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2017
- A*STAR Post-Doctoral Fellowship, 2010
- A*STAR Graduate Scholarship, 2004
- Lee Kuan Yew Gold Medal for first in general proficiency, NTU, 2004
- Institution of Engineers Singapore Gold Medal, NTU, 2004
- IMechE Singapore, Frederic Barnes Waldron Best Student Prize, NTU, 2004
- ExxonMobil Gold Medal for best academic record, NTU, 2004
- A*STAR Pre-Graduate Award, 2004
- Merck Sharp & Dohme Gold Medal for best academic record, NTU, 2003
- Vicom Book Prize, NTU, 2003
- IMechE Singapore, The Institution Best Student Prize, NTU, 2002
- 2nd Prize in Design & Automation (Team), Innovation & Design 21, NTU, 2001
- Collaborator. Soft and hybrid robotics – Phase 1. National Robotics Programme. June 2019 – now.
- Principal Investigator (during project proposal & award stages) / Co-Investigator, Evaluation of morphing mechanisms of shape morphing polymers. A*STAR Aerospace Programme, Jan 2018 – Jan 2020.
- Principal Investigator, Nonlinear dynamics of smart structures and materials for marine and offshore applications, A*STAR SERC Grant, Oct 2013 – Sep 2016.
- Co-Investigator, FEM thermomechanical stress analysis on electronic packages, EPCOS Pte Ltd, 2009-2010.
Full publication list and pdfs are available here: Publications
Reviewer for international journals:
Extreme Mechanics Letters; Applied Physics Letters; Mechanics of Materials; International Journal of Solids and Structures; Smart Materials and Structures; Proceedings of the Royal Society A; Sensors and Actuators A; International Journal of Applied Mechanics; Applied Physics A; Journal of Physics D; IEEE Transactions on Mechatronics ASME; Journal of Applied Physics; Polymer Bulletin; Applied Mathematical Modelling; Meccanica; Europhysics Letters; International Journal of Modern Physics B; Multifunctional Materials; Composites Science and Technology; Composite Structures; Composites Part A.
Conferences and Posters Presentations:
- Choon Chiang Foo, Jun Liu, Zhi-Qian Zhang. Modeling of dissipative dielectric elastomers affected by viscoelasticity and current leakage. 8th ECCOMAS Thematic Conference on Smart Structures and Materials, Madrid, Spain, 5 – 8 June 2017, p 480-489. (presented)
- Choon Chiang Foo, Zhi-Qian Zhang. Modelling viscoelastic dielectric elastomers. 6th International Conference on Computational Methods (ICCM), Auckland, NZ, 14-17 July 2015. (invited speaker)
- Hareesh Godaba, Choon Chiang Foo, Zhi-Qian Zhang, Boo Cheong Khoo, Jian Zhu. A dielectric elastomer actuator coupled with water: snap-through instability and giant deformation. Proc. SPIE 9430: Electroactive Polymer Actuators and Devices (EAPAD), 94302C, San Diego, California, United States, 1 April 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1117/12.2082772
- Zhi-Qian Zhang, Choon Chiang Foo, GR Liu. An immersed smoothed finite element method for analyzing fluid-structure interaction systems consisting of dielectric elastomers. 11th World Congress on Computational Mechanics (WCCM XI), Barcelona, Spain, 20-25 July 2014.
- Richard Baumgartner, Alex Kogler, Choon Chiang Foo, Rainer Kaltseis, Christoph Keplinger, Zhigang Suo, Siegfried Bauer. Fast triggering of instabilities in balloon membranes by dielectric elastomer actuators. Proc. SPIE 8687: Electroactive Polymer Actuators and Devices (EAPAD), San Diego, California, USA, 17 April 2013.
- Choon Chiang Foo, Leong Keey Seah, Gin Boay Chai. A modified energy-balance model to predict low-velocity impact response for sandwich composites. 17th International Conference on Composites/Nano-Engineering (ICCE-17), Hawaii, USA, 26 Jul – 1 Aug 2009. (presented)
- Choon Chiang Foo, Leong Keey Seah, Gin Boay Chai. A model to predict low-velocity impact response and damage in sandwich composites. RSAF Aerospace Technology Seminar, Singapore (2009). (presented)
- Choon Chiang Foo, Leong Keey Seah, Gin Boay Chai. A study on the impact damage of honeycomb sandwich structures. A*STAR Graduate Scholars’ Symposium on Biomedical Sciences, Physical Sciences and Engineering (AGSS’06), Singapore (2006). (presented)
- Choon Chiang Foo, Leong Keey Seah, Gin Boay Chai. Low velocity impact failure of aluminium honeycomb sandwich panels. 5th International Conference on Mechanics and Materials in Design (M2D-5), Porto, Portugal, 24-26 July 2006. (presented)
- Choon Chiang Foo, Leong Keey Seah, Gin Boay Chai, Yin Chee Peh. Mechanical properties of aramid paper honeycomb. 12th International Conference on Composites/Nano-Engineering (ICCE-12), Tenerife, Spain, 1-6 Aug 2005. (presented)
- Secretariat Team for ASEAN COST-67 Sub-Committee meeting, Singapore 2014.
- 2nd Global Young Scientists Summit (GYSS@one-north), Singapore, 2014.
Service in Youth & Science Outreach Activities at IHPC:
- Speaker at IHPC Student’s Seminar, March 2017.
- Speaker at NUS High School of Mathematics and Science Career Day, May 2014.
- Supervisor for undergraduate FYP student, 2013-present.
- Committee Member for National Science Challenge, 2009-2010.
- Committee Member for IHPC Seminar Series (LCS), Aug 2009.
- Speaker at A*STAR Junior College Students Seminar, Dec 2009.
- Supervisor/Co-supervisor for undergraduate research interns, 2009-2010.
Committee service at IHPC:
- Chair, Technology Readiness Level Working Committee, Mar 2013-May 2013.
- Co-chair, Staff Suggestion Committee, July 2009-Nov 2010.
- Member, Working committee for People Developer Award, Sep 2009-Sep 2010.